Permanent Residence

A permanent resident is someone who has been given permanent resident status by immigrating to Canada, but is not a Canadian citizen. Permanent residents are citizens of other countries and are issued a Permanent Residence Card by CIC.

A person in Canada temporarily, like a student or foreign worker, is not a permanent resident.

If you travel outside Canada, the permanent resident card is your proof that you are a permanent resident of Canada. If you leave Canada, you will need this card to re-enter the country on a commercial vehicle, like an airplane, boat, train or bus.

Canadian permanent residents need to show their permanent resident card when travelling to Canada in order to prove their permanent resident status. Permanent residents who do not have a PR card, or who are not carrying their PR card when travelling outside the country, will need to obtain a Permanent Resident Travel Document before returning to Canada by air mode in order to comply with requirements.

We can assist you in applying for your Permanent Residence card (PR card) or assessing your eligibility to apply for one, also to renew or apply for your lost card. We can also assist you in getting a travel document in case you lost or your PR card is expired while you are outside Canada.
(For more information please contact us).