Work Permits

Canadian law requires that a foreign national must be authorized to work in Canada. ‘Work Permit’ is the authorization to work. Qualified Workers, who have a job offer from a Canadian employer, are admitted into Canada to work in a specific position and location for limited period.

The Canadian Work Permit allows an overseas national to live and work in Canada. It is a temporary resident visa. To apply for a work permit you must have a job offer from a Canadian employer in your skill area. Usually a work permit is valid only for a specific job and length of time. A work permit may be issued based on labor market opinion (HRSDC confirmation) or may be issued on the basis of other requirements.

Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the Canada must first obtain a visa, either a non-immigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. Temporary worker visas are for persons who want to enter Canada for employment lasting a fixed period of time, and are not considered permanent or indefinite residents. Before you apply for Work visa the prospective employer must first file a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application with Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). When LMIA is approved and issued by ESDC, only then a candidate can apply for work visa / permit.

In addition, some foreign workers require a temporary resident visa to enter Canada. If you need a temporary resident visa, you do not need to make a separate application – it will be issued at the same time as the documentation necessary for you to enter Canada as a temporary worker.

In order for your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children to accompany you to Canada, they must also apply for permission. They don’t need to complete separate applications, however. The names and relevant information for immediate family members can be included on your application for a temporary work permit.

When you apply for a temporary work permit for Canada, you must satisfy the visa officer who reviews your application that you

  • will leave Canada at the end of your work permit
  • have enough money to support yourself and family members while you are in Canada, and enough to return home
  • do not intend to work in Canada unless authorized
  • will be law abiding
  • have no record of criminal activity (a Police Certificate may be required)
  • are not a risk to the security of Canada
  • are in good health (a medical exam may be required)

(For more information please contact us).